A mentoring program for undergraduate students from under-represented groups interested in freshwater science.
DescriptionInstars, a mentoring program sponsored by the Society for Freshwater Science, is an opportunity for undergraduate students from under-represented groups who are interested in the study of freshwaters. The program also provides opportunities for networking among graduate students, faculty and professionals hoping to encourage diversity in our discipline. Launched in 2011, the seventh instalment of the program will take place May 20 - 24, 2018 in Detroit, MI where the theme will be “Navigating Boundaries in Freshwater Science.”
firstname.lastname@example.org) or Judy Li (email@example.com).
Download the 2018 Instars Program Announcement.
Workshop & Activities
We hope to inspire and excite students about our science by offering activities with other undergraduates, graduate student mentors, and professional SFS members that will include:
- A half-day, pre-meeting orientation workshop
- Networking activities with peers and mentors during the meeting
- Attendance at plenary sessions and a full range of special, technical, and poster sessions chosen by students
- Opportunities for undergraduates to present their own research in general sessions with friendly review from SFS members
- Post-meeting networking and linking to research and educational opportunities in aquatic science
The program will sponsor Instars Graduate Mentors by providing a modest stipend for the annual meeting. Student membership in the society is a priority for funding Instars Graduate Mentors; potential for presentation by the graduate mentor during the conference, and the student’s number of years as a member of SFS will also be considered but would not preclude funding. More info.
How to Apply
Instars fellows and mentors can apply through the SFS website and observe the following program deadlines:
- Instars fellows with program funding - 17 February 2017. Apply now!
- Instars fellows without program funding - 31 March 2017. Apply now!
- Instars mentors - 24 February 2017.
Funding decisions will be made by mid-March
- 2011 Program Participants
- 2012 Program Participants
- 2013 Program Participants
- 2014 Program Participants
- 2015 Program Participants
- 2016 Program Participants
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
VOTING CLOSED - SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule