A mentoring program for undergraduate students from under-represented groups interested in freshwater science.
DescriptionInstars, a mentoring program sponsored by the Society for Freshwater Science, is an opportunity for undergraduate students from under-represented groups who are interested in the study of freshwaters. The program also provides opportunities for networking among graduate students, faculty and professionals hoping to encourage diversity in our discipline. Launched in 2011, the sixth instalment of the program will take place June 4 – 8, 2017 in Raleigh, NC where the theme will be “Designing our Freshwater Futures.”
email@example.com) or Judy Li (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Download the 2017 Instars Program Announcement.
Workshop & Activities
We hope to inspire and excite students about our science by offering activities with other undergraduates, graduate student mentors, and professional SFS members that will include:
- A half-day, pre-meeting orientation workshop
- Networking activities with peers and mentors during the meeting
- Attendance at plenary sessions and a full range of special, technical, and poster sessions chosen by students
- Opportunities for undergraduates to present their own research in general sessions with friendly review from SFS members
- Post-meeting networking and linking to research and educational opportunities in aquatic science
The program will sponsor Instars Graduate Mentors by providing a modest stipend for the annual meeting. Student membership in the society is a priority for funding Instars Graduate Mentors; potential for presentation by the graduate mentor during the conference, and the student’s number of years as a member of SFS will also be considered but would not preclude funding. More info.
How to Apply
Instars fellows and mentors can apply through the SFS website and observe the following program deadlines:
- Instars fellows with program funding - 17 February 2017. Apply now!
- Instars fellows without program funding - 31 March 2017. Apply now!
- Instars mentors - 24 February 2017.
Funding decisions will be made by mid-March
- 2011 Program Participants
- 2012 Program Participants
- 2013 Program Participants
- 2014 Program Participants
- 2015 Program Participants
- 2016 Program Participants
- Making Waves Ep. 25: Modeling Environmental DNA Movement in Streams, Arial Shogren more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- What's happenin'? Find out the news In The Drift... more
- Read the Spring 2016 issue of in the drift! more
- Proposed Constitutional Revisions 2016 more
- Newsletter! Newsletter! in the drift more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule
COMPETITION CLOSED - SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.more
Please take a short survey on the SFS logo redesignmore
The SFS ad hoc committee on inclusivity is producing a short video to highlight why freshwater scientists value having a diverse and inclusive societymore
Upcoming deadlines for the Fourth Symposium on Urbanization and Stream Ecologymore