Freshwater Science seeks a freelance copy editor to work approximately 20 hours a week. Freshwater Science is published by the University of Chicago Press on behalf of the Society for Freshwater Science (https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/journals/fws/about). The copy editor works with the journal’s Editor-in-Chief, technical editor, and managing editor to prepare manuscripts for type setting and subsequent publication. Primary responsibilities of the copy editor are:
- Ensure that manuscripts are formatted in Freshwater Science style:
- Check spelling, grammar, and punctuation and correct as needed.
- Check for agreement between references cited in the text and those listed in the Literature Cited and vice versa and correct/reconcile as needed.
- Work with authors to confirm corrections.
- Check resultant page proofs for accuracy.
Preferred qualifications are:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or English OR another field coupled with intensive writing experience.
- Excellent command of written English and scientific style.
- A meticulous eye for detail and excellent proofreading skills.
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well both with a team and with minimal supervision.
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word.
- Familiarity with scientific language and writing style.
Compensation is negotiable and dependent on previous work experience.
Send a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, a resume, and contact information for 3 professional references to Charles Hawkins, Editor-in-Chief, Freshwater Science at firstname.lastname@example.org.