REU RESEARCH: This is a call for a motivated undergraduate student interested in aquatic research. The student will spend ten weeks during the summer of 2018 in the field and lab gaining first-hand research experience in the following tasks:
- Collecting field samples of algae, especially diatoms.
- Culturing diatom communities in artificial streams.
- Imaging diatoms using light microscopy and SEM.
- Enumerating diatom samples to characterize community assemblage.
- Mapping a streambed with side-scan sonar.
- Assisting in the collection of water quality indicators including water chemistry, fish, and macroinvertebrates.
PROGRAM DATES: May 29, 2018 – August 4, 2018
REU SITE: Restoring cattle ranches for sustainable land and water resources, Timberlake Biological Field Station, Texas.
EXPENSES: Students will receive a $550 stipend per week for their participation in the REU program. On-campus housing (apartment-style dormitory with a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom floor plan) and lodging at Timberlake Biological Field Station will be provided at no cost to the students. Additional funds for meals, research, and travel are also included.
HOW TO APPLY: Students must submit a complete application package by MARCH 2, 2018 to be considered for the summer 2018 cohort. The application package includes an online application form, college/university transcripts, and two letters of recommendation. Please visit our REU website for more information on the application process (http://www.tarleton.edu/timberlakeranch/REU.html).
APPLICATION LINK: https://www.tarleton.edu/timberlakeranch/reuapp.html