The Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research (CIGLR) announces the 2020 Great Lakes Summer Fellows Program, in partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab (GLERL). The Great Lakes Summer Fellows Program exposes students to a broad range of disciplines and provides an exciting opportunity for students to conduct research in the Great Lakes region under the mentorship of a CIGLR or GLERL scientist. We seek to use these fellowships to increase diversity in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering and math) and strongly encourage applications from students who identify with groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in government and academic workforces.
- We are offering nine (9) full-time, twelve-week positions located at the NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (GLERL), 4840 South State Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, about 4 miles south of the University of Michigan central campus.
- Fellowships will begin on May 18 and end on August 7.
- Each student will receive a $10,000 stipend, paid in four installments of $2,500. The first payment will be made one month in advance of the start date to help with securing housing and other incidentals for relocation to Ann Arbor. Stipend pay dates will be: 4/13/20, 5/11/20, 6/8/20, and 8/10/20.
- Each student will receive financial support for travel to and from Ann Arbor.
- A vehicle will be provided for local travel to/from the work site for students in need of transportation while in Ann Arbor.
- The program is limited to currently-enrolled undergraduate (juniors and seniors as of Fall 2020) and graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.). We will also consider post-baccalaureate or post-masters students who have graduated within the past 12 months of the fellowship (i.e., May 2019 or after), if the position fits directly within a student’s career or academic goals.
- You must be either a U.S. citizen or a foreign national who is residing in the U.S. on a current Student Visa.
- Immediate relatives of any CIGLR or NOAA GLERL employees are not eligible to participate in this program, consistent with NOAA guidelines.
- Visit ciglr.seas.umich.edu/
opportunities/student-for more information & to access the online application. fellowships/
- Deadline: 23 February 2020 at 11:59 PM EST
- Applicants will be notified of their status by 20 March 2020.