The Environmental Quality Institute (EQI) is a nonprofit research institute that collects scientific data that informs environmental understanding and decision-making. Our core programs are the Volunteer Water Information Network (VWIN) and the Stream Monitoring Information Exchange (SMIE). VWIN is a 29-year-old program in which trained volunteers collect samples monthly at fixed stream and lake locations in the mountains of western North Carolina (WNC). Samples are analyzed at EQI's state-certified laboratory for chemical parameters. SMIE is a 14-year-old program in which trained volunteers collect and identify benthic macroinvertebrates in WNC streams. Volunteers sample fixed sites each spring and fall to assess water quality. The data from both projects are shared with regional partners, such as local municipalities, county governments, and nonprofits, who use them to identify water quality trends, justify watershed projects, and detect unusual results.
JOB DESCRIPTION: EQI is seeking an Assistant Director to be located in Black Mountain, NC (near Asheville). The position will be responsible for maintaining volunteer monitoring programs and supervising EQI’s laboratory (after sufficient training). Specific duties include:
- Oversight of chemical and biological monitoring programs
- Supervision of laboratory staff (3-4 part-time college students and an AmeriCorps member)
- Performance of lab analyses and associated tasks
- Completion of lab quality control protocols and maintenance of certifications
- Data management
- Communication with stakeholders
- Field work associated with monitoring projects
- Grant-writing and management
- Participation in outreach and educational events
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Studies, or associated field
- Leadership experience
- Experience with stream and/or lake water quality monitoring, including water chemistry and benthic macroinvertebrates
- Grant-writing and management experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Detail oriented work style with ability to multitask
- Ability to support a creative and inclusive work environment
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a criminal history check
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Candidates with the following qualifications will be given priority:
- Familiarity with western North Carolina and/or the Southern Appalachians
- Environmental laboratory experience, especially management
- Volunteer water monitoring experience
- Nonprofit management experience, including fundraising
POSITION DETAILS: This position is contingent upon funding and performance, but funding for the position has been secured for two years. It is a full-time position with flexible hours, but will require presence in the lab for sample deliveries on all Mondays, including holidays. Samples are only rescheduled for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Some evening and weekend work will be necessary. This position requires mild to moderate lifting and ability to conduct stream field work. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience, ranging from $34,000 to $38,000.
CONTACT INFORMATION: We recommend reviewing EQI’s website at www.eqilab.org to learn about our mission and monitoring programs. To inquire about the position, please email Ann Marie Traylor at the address below. To apply, please send a resume or CV and cover letter to:
Ann Marie Traylor, EQI Executive Director email@example.com
The Environmental Quality Institute Attn: Ann Marie Traylor 104 Eastside Drive, Unit 302 Black Mountain, NC 28711
No phone calls, please.
This position will be available starting April 15. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.