Career Type: Faculty
Department: Biology & Environmental Sciences Department
Heidelberg University, located in Tiffin, Ohio, is a dynamic individual to fill the position of Assistant Professor of Biology (Ecology). This is a tenure track position beginning August 2020. Heidelberg University offers a strong liberal arts curriculum and professional education programs with the mission of personal, intellectual, and professional development, leading to a life of purpose with distinction.
The Assistant Professor of Biology (Ecology) provides instruction and advising to undergraduate students. This faculty appointment consists of a full-time teaching load to include lecture and laboratory courses in Introductory Biology, Ecology, and upper level courses in an Environmental Science major and a specialization in Watershed Science. In addition, faculty are expected to hold office hours, advise majors, mentor undergraduate research, and engage in committee work and continued professional development. This is a tenure-track position beginning August 2020. The Assistant Professor of Biology (Ecology) reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, in the School of Allied Health, Behavioral, and Natural Sciences.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience, qualifications, and abilities, including:
- Ph.D. in Ecology or related field. ABD candidates will be considered if degree is to be completed prior to the position start date.
- College level teaching experience. A preference will be given to candidates with lecture and laboratory teaching experience in introductory biology, ecology, and watershed science related courses.
- Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities.
- Ability to utilize some or all of the following available laboratory and field equipment in teaching, lab, and/or research activities: water quality sondes, incubators, Phantom quadcopter drone with NIR, and extensive plant and animal collections.
To successfully integrate into Heidelberg’s active and engaged teaching faculty, we prefer candidates that are able to show evidence of:
- Successful experience supervising student research projects and advising.
- Analytical and strategic thinking abilities.
- Willingness to participate and engage in responsibilities, campus efforts, and activities during the day, evenings, and/or weekends at both on-campus and off-campus in order to be part of a community that supports education excellence and student success.
- Experience, knowledge, and appreciation for a liberal arts tradition.
- Commitment and a demonstrated record of academic excellence with professional and personal integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and problem-solving skills.
- A work ethic that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
In addition, the ideal candidate will model Heidelberg University’s core values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty, and accountability in all work, in keeping with the institution’s mission, philosophy, and values.
How to Apply
For consideration, complete the online application. Candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of professional references, transcripts, statement of teaching philosophy (including evidence of student-centered teaching), and a statement of research interests (including potential for involvement of undergraduate students). Official transcripts will be required of the finalist candidate.
Expected Closing Date
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Heidelberg University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for all postings.