The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet presents an opportunity for you to make a difference in the waters of Kentucky through a fast paced, exciting, and collaborative environment. The Department for Environmental Protection, Division of Water's mission is to manage, protect and enhance the quality and quantity of the Commonwealth's water resources for present and future generations through voluntary, regulatory and educational programs.
This position is part of a two-person Water Quality Branch team operating in the Madisonville Field Office. It is an excellent opportunity to gain water quality monitoring experience and in-depth knowledge of western Kentucky streams through extensive travel and field work. Monitoring goals include assessing and reporting on the health of the waters of the Commonwealth, evaluating the effectiveness of water quality improvement projects, and responding to incidents such as harmful algal blooms in recreational waters of the state. Previous aquatic experience such as the collection and/or identification of benthic macroinvertebrates, fish, or algae is beneficial.
Responsibilities typically include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collecting water and biological samples (macroinvertebrates,pathogens, diatoms, and/or fish) in streams and rivers according to standard operating procedures.
- Entering and managing field and laboratory data.
- Working in an E. coli laboratory and sorting benthic macroinvertebrate samples based on family-level taxonomy.
- Assisting with data analysis, reporting, and water quality assessments.
- Assisting with the review and development of monitoring project study plans.
- Participating in workgroups and meetings that may involve developing or updating water quality monitoring policies and procedures.
The Division of Water offers flexibility in work schedules, time away from the desk, and a chance to network with a wide range of like-minded professionals. If you are interested in a rewarding career with us, we would love to review your application.
JOB TITLE: Environmental Biologist Specialist PAY GRADE: 14
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full Time, Eligible for Overtime Pay|18A|37.5hr/wk HIRING AGENCY: Energy & Environment Cabinet - Dept for Environmental Protection
EDUCATION: Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree in a biological, environmental or natural science, which includes at least thirty credit hours in the biological sciences.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: One year of professional experience in research, environmental impact assessment, or related environmental program areas, or requisite skills. The experience, training, or skills requirement cannot be met with only requisite skills.
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: NONE
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): NONE
For more information and to apply, please visit the following link and search for req274: http://bit.ly/2M2X3LX
Advertisement Closes 8/10/2018