Open until 3/9/2023
Application Link: https://job-openings.monster.com/laboratory-technician-saint-joseph-mi-u...
We offer a casual, exciting work atmosphere, and flexible hours. Benefits include insurance, training opportunities, and personal time for community service. PhycoTech, Inc. is an established environmental consulting firm specializing in aquatic analyses and dedicated to raising the standards in our industry.
The Laboratory Technician’s primary responsibility is to assist with the processing of biological samples in the main laboratory and ensure that other laboratory tasks are completed in a timely manner. The person applying for this position must be able to perform tasks efficiently and safely in a laboratory setting, possess excellent computer and organizational skills, and be a team player. This position is mostly office/laboratory based with occasional field work and participation in environmental outreach events. Previous laboratory experience and knowledge of algal taxonomy is highly desirable.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Prepare algal and zooplankton samples for analysis by preparing permanent slides, performing additional sample processing (e.g., acid cleaning, centrifuging, preservation), and ensuring all samples are accurately labeled and stored
- Receive customer samples, maintain paperwork and metadata, and ensure customer materials are returned within the requested timeframe
- Accurately enter sample data into internal databases and respond to internal and external data requests
- Perform routine laboratory tasks including cleaning glassware, maintaining laboratory equipment, organizing supplies, and storing sample bottles and archival slides
- ·ssist with processing phytoplankton samples using our semi-automated algal technology
- Communicate with customers as needed
- Participate in K-12 educational programs, occasionally outside of normal business hours
- Occasional field work to collect algal samples for workshops and other outreach events
Qualifications and additional requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in biology or related environmental science discipline is required. Previous laboratory experience preferred
- Familiarity with algal taxonomy, limnology, and/or aquatic ecology preferred
- MS Word/Excel proficiency required. Experience with MS Access, database management tools, and/or programming languages (MATLAB, Python, R) a plus
- Be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to perform tasks safely and in a timely manner
- Must pass a background check (for participating in outreach programs)
- Hold a valid driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one at the time of employment
- Must be legally able to work in the U.S.
- Required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before performing any job duties, as this position will require knowledge of proprietary information.