SUMMARY: We seek applicants for one full-time Research Assistant/Environmental Chemistry Lab Manager at the Woods Hole Research Center. The Research Assistant will focus on the analysis of water samples collected as part of the Arctic Great Rivers Observatory (arcticgreatrivers.org), the Global Rivers Observatory (globalrivers.org), the Cape Cod Rivers Observatory (caperivers.org), and related projects. The Research Assistant will also assist with the preparation of sampling supplies used in these projects and the management of resulting data.
The Research Assistant will also serve as the Environmental Chemistry Lab Manager. In that role, the candidate will manage the analytical laboratory operations, work closely with all lab users, oversee safety procedures, and coordinate the lab committee.
As Research Assistant, the successful candidate will:
- Analyze river water samples for a broad suite of chemical constituents including nutrients (nitrate, ammonium, phosphate, and silica), organic matter (dissolved organic carbon), alkalinity, and total suspended solids
- Prepare sampling equipment and supplies • Manage resulting data
- In all of these activities, the production of top quality data that are essential for the detection and understanding of long-term environmental trends is required
As Lab Manager, the successful candidate will:
- Serve as the Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) as defined in the Center’s Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Maintain lab equipment and manage service contracts
- Manage stock of general use lab supplies
- Develop laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Insure compliance with laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Perform daily lab & safety routines related to environmental health and safety training
- Implement the lab safety program according to the Center’s Chemical Hygiene Plan and SOPs
- Review safety guidelines with all lab users, certify lab users after orientation and training
- Coordinate lab schedule, accommodating needs of principal investigators, students, and others;
- Train users on instrumentation and assist in instrument troubleshooting
Qualifications and Experience:
- B. S. degree in Chemistry or related discipline.
- Extensive experience analyzing water quality samples
- Demonstrated ability to maintain laboratory equipment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment. • Demonstrated skills in data organization, analysis, and report writing preferred.
- M.S. degree in Chemistry or related discipline.
- Experience operating and maintaining Astoria Analyzer
- Experience operating and maintaining Shimadzu TOC analyzer
- Experience operating and maintaining CN elemental analyzer
- Experience operating and maintaining gas chromatograph
- Experience operating and maintaining spectrophotometers and fluorometers
- Experience with OSHA regulations
- Experience preparing Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
- Prior Laboratory Manager experience
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is $48,000 to $55,000, depending on experience. WHRC offers a competitive salary as well as a very generous benefits package.
Appointment: This is a one-year appointment, with the potential for extension. Desired Start Date: May 1, 2019. Application Deadline: April 5, 2019 or until filled.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “MHRA19” in the subject line.
The Woods Hole Research Center is an independent, nonprofit institute focused on environmental science, policy, and education. WHRC is an equal opportunity employer.