The State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) and the nine (9) Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB) (collectively the Water Boards) work to preserve, enhance, and restore the quality of California’s water resources and drinking water for the protection of the environment, public health, and all beneficial uses, and to ensure proper water resource allocation and efficient use, for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Central Valley Water Board (RWQCB) has an opening for a Senior Environmental Scientist Supervisor. This position will supervise 4 staff in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta (Delta) and Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) Unit. The detailed information on specific responsibilities can be found on the attached duty statement. General responsibilities are to supervise, organize, direct, and coordinate technical work for the TMDLs and Delta Program Unit, which include development of pollution control programs, TMDLs, and amendments to the Basin Plans. Oversee Unit staff work associated with assessment of pollutant sources, fate and transport of pollutants, review and approve technical/scientific reports, evaluate control, mitigation, remediation, and restoration options and review implementation plans for point and non-point sources of pollution. The Unit is currently focused on pesticides and nutrient pollutants.
- The State Water Resources Control Board’s Central Valley Region, has one opening for a Senior Environmental Scientist Supervisor supervising the TMDLs and Delta Program Unit. The position is located at 11020 Sun Center Dr. Suite #200, Rancho Cordova, CA, 95670.
- Position is full-time and salary range is $9,785.00 - $12,165.00 per month.
- Please see the duty statement on the vacancy announcement for more detailed information about the position.
- Leadership experience or prior supervisory experience
- Ability to evaluate and prepare scientific reports and planning documents related to water quality.
- Ability to clearly communicate and present scientific, policy and technical issues (both written and verbal).
- Experience with TMDLs or Basin Planning
- Knowledge of water quality issues in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta
- Please remember these are desirables and are not required.
In order to be considered for this position, you must have Senior Environmental Scientist Supervisory list, transfer, or reinstatement eligibility and be reachable on the certification list. This requires a self-assessment exam, located here:
How To Apply
Applicants can apply online at www.calcareers.ca.gov (JC-277568) and the DEADLINE TO APPLY is December 8, 2021. Emailed applications will not be considered. Here is the job posting on calcareers and instructions on how to apply:
Applicants may also mail a hard copy application package. Please see the job posting on calcareers.gov for more details on mail in applications.
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
Resume is required and must be included.
Statement of Qualifications
A Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) must be submitted along with the State Application and serves as documentation of candidate’s ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing. It should be typed and no more than 2 pages in length, using Arial size 12 pt. font, and normal margins.
The Statement of Qualifications should address the following:
In your opinion, what are the keys to developing and leading a good team? Throughout your career, has your perspective changed on what makes a good leader?
Describe how your background and work experience exemplify leadership.
Applications received without the SOQ addressed as stated will not be considered and resumes, letters and other materials will not be evaluated or considered as a response to the SOQ.