Overview: Michigan Trout Unlimited is a conservation based organization that works to conserve, protect, and restore Michigan’s coldwater fisheries and their watersheds. We fulfill this mission by collecting coldwater stream data to identify and prioritize protection and restoration projects, collaborating with public and private partners in restoration, through youth and adult education, and by advocating for the protection of our coldwater fisheries.
We are seeking a paid summer technician to help our organization better fulfill our mission through expanded data collection efforts. We are seeking an individual to conduct stream monitoring, data collection, and data management. Individuals who are self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks, communicate well through public speaking and writing, enjoy working outdoors in all conditions, and have a background in stream ecology and fisheries biology will be considered.
Position Duties and Responsibilities: The Stream Technician will be working on coldwater streams throughout Michigan with a focus on northern Michigan coldwater streams including the Upper Manistee, Au Sable, and White Rivers. Work will largely consist of field data collection. In addition, the Stream Technician will assist with data management, data analysis, and report writing. Monitoring to be conducted includes habitat mapping, stream geomorphic assessments, fish surveys, and macroinvertebrate surveys.
- Have completed, or are working towards a bachelor’s degree in fisheries, natural resources management, aquatic science, or related field
- Knowledge of standard aquatic sampling techniques and equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer efficiency (Excel, word processing), knowledge of GIS applications preferred
- Highly motivated and organized
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to work long days in all weather
- Ability to take frequent multi-day field trips to remote areas
Compensation and Time Commitment: Interns will be paid $14/hour and will work for 40 hours per week for 15 weeks from mid-May through mid-August. Start and end date are negotiable.
Applications: Applicants should submit a CV, cover letter, and three references here. Questions can be directed to Jordyn.email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through Friday, March 8th.