Instars Mentoring Program
The Instars Program will sponsor Instars Graduate Student Mentors by providing a modest stipend ($500-600) for students helping with programming for the virtual meeting. The approximate commitment timeline will be three weeks (i.e. the week before the meeting, week of the meeting, and the week after the meeting). Student membership in the Society and familiarity with the annual meeting and Instars Program and prioroties for funding Instars Graduate Mentors; potential for presentation by the graduate mentor during the conference, and the student's number of years as a member of SFS will also be considered but would not preclude funding.
- Be willing and able to attend pre-program planning meetings, the Instars Orientation Workshop at the annual meeting and participate in post-meeting follow ups with participants.
- Work closely with assigned groups of Instars participants and serve as facilitators for program activities
- Meet with individuals or groups of Instars participants daily to coordinate for sessions that will be attended and contribute to group reflections
Eligibility: Participation is open to any graduate student or postdoctoral scholar SFS member. Participants must be graduate students enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a Masters or Doctoral degree. Spring graduates are eligible. Postdoctoral scholars may also apply as Instars Mentors, however, priority will be given to graduate students enrolled in a degree program.
Deadline and application:
10 April 2021: Application for graduate student meeting mentors
Students interested in participating as Graduate Meeting Mentors apply via email as follows:
- Include a mentoring statement indicating interest in broadening participation through peer mentoring and their familiarity with the Society and with the Instars Program. Your statement should be 750 words or fewer. Name your file as: Statement - Lastname FirstInitial
- Include the subject line 'Instars Mentoring Program: Lastname, Firstname
Send your statement as an attached document (word or pdf) to Checo Colon-Gaud (firstname.lastname@example.org)