Nominations are now being accepted by SFS’s Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Task Force for members of the newly formed SFS Council of Underrepresented Voices (CUV). The CUV will enhance the efforts of the JEDI Task Force by establishing a dedicated forum for representative members of underrepresented groups to convene and provide perspective and guidance on SFS goals, operations, and initiatives. The CUV will provide a safe space where all ideas and opinions are welcomed and cherished, and will play a key role in SFS’ path to become a truly diverse and inclusive Society. The following include some of the proposed responsibilities of the CUV:
- Monitor and synthesize perceptions of SFS underrepresented members
- Suggest and develop programming around justice and equity within SFS
- Provide guidance and feedback on SFS initiatives
- Summarize needs of minority groups to SFS JEDI Task Force, Diversity and Education Committee, and SFS Board of Directors
- Support and enhance recruitment efforts of underrepresented individuals
- Develop ideas for increasing mentorship of underrepresented members
Meetings will occur quarterly, and each member will serve a three-year term.
We encourage nominations for a diverse spectrum of individuals, including (but not limited to) underrepresented groups within North America (e.g., African Americans/Canadians, Latinos/Hispanics, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, Asian Americans/Canadians); individuals with disabilities; individuals representing underserved sexual orientations and gender identities; and people from regions of the world with low representation in SFS (e.g., Latin America, Africa, Asia). Nominees can be SFS members or non-members that would like to join SFS. Self-nominations are accepted.
To nominate (or with questions), please send an email to email@example.com and include the name, country of residence, and reasons why the nominee would bring a unique perspective to the CUV. Nominations will be accepted until Friday January 29, 2021.
Thank you for being part of this valuable effort, we look forward to receiving nominations!